Ways to Volunteer at Aberlea
Here at Aberlea we know the power of a coffee and a chat, sharing the love of a good book, gentle walks and great company. We hope that the volunteer program is an opportunity for you to positively change someone’s life through friendship.
We hope our volunteers can commit to building a friendship with an older person, through one-one interactions, assisting with activities or assisting with bus trips.
As a Volunteer, you will be welcomed into the Aberlea community giving you the opportunity to be part of a vibrant and social community, make some new friends and experience the diverse personalities of our residents. Current volunteers on the program share a wide variety of passions with our residents including:
- Gardening – Share your knowledge and skills to enhance and assist in the upkeep of our Aberlea Atriums and Backyards
- Cooking – Run cooking demonstrations allowing residents to experience the smell and taste of new foods.
- Knitting – With the help of our residents, volunteers are able to provide much-needed clothing or blankets for those less fortunate
- Sport – Share a passion for your favourite sports with our residents
- Music – perform or teach music to our residents, whether it be singing or instrumental.
- Arts and crafts – use your skills to assist our residents in creating a wide range of masterpieces
- Activities – Assist staff in leading a planned group activity.
- Bus trips – Join our residents and staff on a bus trip taking in the local surroundings, trying new cafes/restaurants/pubs, attending local events.
- Maintenance – Assist our maintenance team in doing odd jobs around the facility,
- Meals on Wheels – Deliver precooked meals to people within the community.
- Performers – Do you have a special talent you could share with our residents.